Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Twitterverse

I've never been computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination. For years, the computer was to write papers, research for work, or send e-mails to friends I rarely got to see. But oddly, as I've gotten older the online world has found a niche in my life. It all started innocently when I "discovered" the Jericho message boards. Then a friend introduced me to Facebook and from there it was a short jump to Twitter.

Now I have Twitter friends. People I have never met, yet I speak with them daily. And I met them simply because we have a common interest: a scifi show called Caprica. So if I'm ever in Italy, Texas or New Brunswick; I'll have someone to visit. I'm learning to go green by reading blogs instead of getting books from the library.

My entire world view is changing, and not because of a single person I've met face-to-face. I think globally and investigate different viewpoints better than ever before. Being online has allowed me to understand why people are pro-life or atheists. It's easy to ask someone very personal questions when you can't see their face.

As I have risen, my husband has fallen. Once upon a time, you would hear me say "Make it work" (referring to the computer). Fast forward a decade, my husband comes home from work and asks me "What's Skype?" The truly scary thing is he expects me to know and I actually do.

I'm now an addict of the online world. I blog. I download torrents. I watch web series. The Guild is quite impressive. Somehow, this doesn't seem like me. But this isn't a bad new me, it's just a new me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just joined blogger the other day because another one of my friends wanted me to follow her blog. Ive never been on twitter....maybe I should? lol. Glad you have found new things you enjoy-the internet is amazing. Thanks for posting this on facebook :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica, I stopped by to say "Thanks for stopping by MY blog!" LOL I love the picture of the daffodils -- my fave flower.

    I feel like I have way more virtual friends than real-life ones, and it's so easy to keep in touch with them thanks to all these newfangled inventions. :) It also gives me a chance to connect with people I wouldn't even come across otherwise -- which is great when it comes to my "writing friends".

    ReplyDelete