Thursday, June 17, 2010

Going Old School with You Tube

Most people will tell you the most beautiful thing they have ever seen was their child when they were first born. I now disagree. After several almost disastrous attempts, I have finally created a thing of beauty: a homemade loaf of bread. It was more beautiful than I can describe. A perfectly rounded top with a soft, warm inside. My husband at least pretended to play to my insanity. He asked if I was done worshiping it so he could have a piece.

Don't ask me why I decided to make bread. But I'm stubborn. When I make a decision, no matter how ludicrous, I will blindly follow through with it. But bread making (especially when you refuse to use a bread machine) is quite a chore and requires skill. Problem one: I had no clue how to make bread so as a child of the modern age what did I do? I scoured the internet.

And I found bread101. A wonderful website that taught me the basics. Now armed with more information than before but much less than I would actually need I embarked. Rule one of breadmaking. Don't use recipe from a bread machine book. They don't list cooking times. Oops.

Off to Allrecipes.com I found the perfect recipe! I even mashed a potato so it would be real potato bread. And... it never rose. Off to blogs about bread making. Yes, they actually exist. Hours later I learned to proof my yeast. Apparently, if the yeast you own has been sitting in your frig for a year, it doesn't work.

Off I ran to the store for new yeast. All looked as if this time I would succeed. (Don't ask what attempt I was on) And then... it failed to rise again. I nearly cried. More on-line searching. Rule two of bread making. You have to knead bread for a several minutes (~10 or so). Oops.

Off to You Tube. Yes, You Tube. Where else am I going to be able to watch someone knead bread. I sat there in front of my laptop staring at some strange woman as she pushed and pulled bread dough. Silently, I tell myself. Yeah, what's she's doing there. I need to do that too. After some on-line kneading lessons... a beautiful loaf of bread. SUCCESS!!!!!

I have a masters degree. I'm highly educated. But I couldn't make a freaking loaf of bread. I find that terrifying. So much spent on an education and now I'm learning life skills from You Tube. Says a lot about our society. We've forgotten how to do the simple stuff for so long, it's no longer simple.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It's pretty much impossible to do wrong, it's fast, and so yummy! But nowhere as beautiful as I'm sure your long-awaited loaf was!

    ReplyDelete